Categories
BLOG

cat ate all the weed

Cat eats weed cookie, gets ‘violently high’

Share this with

If you’ve ever had a weed edible, you’ll know just how trippy the experience can be.

Carmine Deville’s cat, Carmilla, had that experience first hand after an accident caused her to eat a full weed cookie.

The incident was shared on Twitter, and the thread has thousands of likes, with people (perhaps evilly) laughing at the situation.

Carmine first explained Carmilla’s nature, jokingly calling her a ‘horrible gremlin kitten’ and ‘an indestructible Dumpster Demon TM with a stomach of steel’.

She also said that Carmilla would ‘fight god for half a stale bagel and win’, which really says all you need to know about this hardy little kitty.

So, what happened?

Well, Carmine took a pre-made weed cookie out of the freezer and popped it on top of the fridge before nipping to the loo.

My horrible gremlin kitten snarfed an entire weed cookie and got v i o l e n t l y high the other day: a thread pic.twitter.com/EZWJe9HUrV

She’d clearly forgotten that her cats – especially Carmilla – would never let snacks go uneaten, and despite the paper wrapping and three freezer bags encasing the cookie, she came back to find it gone.

Just the chocolate chips were left (which is lucky as chocolate can be lethal for cats), and Carmine now had to see which one of her two cats (the other is called Béla Lugosi) had eaten the herby treat.

Carmine, a model and burlesque producer, was freaking out, and said: ‘Cue 30 minute montage of me crying while rolling my cats up in towels and force-feeding them peroxide in alteration while they struggle. (Spoiler alert: it didn’t work.)’

You know that feeling when you get a little too high and suddenly find yourself crying in a Taco Bell drive-thru at 2:17AM? Milla did that, but instead of a drive-thru it was behind the toilet, and in the bathtub, repeatedly. #CarmillaKitten pic.twitter.com/zv033bJQ4E

Hydrogen peroxide in small quantities is a known emetic for cats, but doesn’t always work, and certainly didn’t on these kitties strong stomachs who often eat food from bins.

Carmine then said it was too late to do anything, and instead had to just wait it out to see if there would be any ill effects.

It turned out it was Carmilla who’d eaten the cookie, and she eventually started to show signs of being ‘violently high’.

‘The moment the drugs hit and she realized she dun f***ed up reeeeal bad this time,’ Carmine captioned one photo of her beloved cat.

Carmilla then spent the next four hours grappling with the consequences of her greed.

She was crying to get up on the bed, and then simply staring at her tail for a long time. She then decided to sit in the bath for a while, as well as behind the toilet.

After like four hours of anxious babysitting, she finally sobered up enough to eat and walk around, and spent the rest of the night sleeping it off on my lap. #CarmillaKitten pic.twitter.com/LATsWiqLyo

Towards the end of her high, Carmilla got under an armchair and only briefly sent her paw out to be patted before retreating again. Feels.

Thankfully after a few hours she returned to her normal self and was able to eat and sleep it off. It was a big scare for Carmine, though.

Carmine concluded her thread saying, ‘There’s no moral to the story but in summary, please do your drugs before your cats do because this was horrible and the only way I can deal is to joke about it on the internet. The goblin in fine. Thanks for joining us for Carmilla’s Big Drug Adventure 2020.’

More: Cats

From Vegfest to jazz, here are five free virtual events to join online this week

Watch the hilarious moment puppy calls on bigger dog for protection from grouchy cat

Cat is best friends with donkey and rides around on her back

That is a pretty good moral of the story as far as we’re concerned, given that THC can be very harmful to cats if ingested.

If this does happen to you, the first thing you should do is call your vet. Although in situations like this everything can end up fine – and a bit funny in a mean way – it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

Carmine Deville's cat found its way into a bag containing a marijuana edible. It ended up having a pretty stressful time.

Cannabis and Cats: What to Do if Your Cat Eats Marijuana

Saturday May 25, 2019

C at owners have known for a long time that catnip to our feline friends is like, well. catnip. Your cat may roll around in, lick, or eat this herbal feline treat, which could cause your household mouser to grow aggressive and wild. Or, they may become very docile, while others could give it a sniff and walk away, tail turned up. Whether your cat enjoys catnip or not, one thing to always keep in mind is that cannabis and catnip are not the same thing. Even though your feline friend might enjoy expanding their mind, cannabis may induce some negative effects. Here’s what you should do if your cat eats your cannabis stash.

Similarities Between Catnip and Cannabis

Believe it or not, catnip and cannabis have at least a few things in common. Originating from Europe, Asia, and Africa, catnip is an herb from the mint family, but now grows pretty much everywhere like a weed, and is often used in gardens because it repels insects and is drought tolerant. The intoxicating compound in catnip is nepetalactone, a stimulant that is thought to produce a high for the cat, much like cannabis for humans. Catnip acts in a cat’s brain much like cannabis compounds THC and CBD do, by binding to receptors that activate different areas of the brain that control emotion and behavior.

Like humans, cats have an endocannabinoid system (ECS), which plays a role in the regulation of many physiological systems, like movement and coordination, mood, appetite, sleep, and immune response. A properly balanced ECS is important to the overall wellbeing and health of our furry family members, too.

Actions to Take if Your Cat Ingests Weed

Your cat is pretty unlikely to confuse cannabis with catnip, but nevertheless, what should you do if your cat gets in your stash? The first thing to do is ascertain the safety and health of your cat. Here are some symptoms of cannabis poisoning to look for:

Steps to Take if Your Cat Eats Your Stash:

  • Lack of Coordination: keep an eye out for lack of coordination, and a swaying, wobbly, or awkward gait
  • Signs of Depression: if your cat is disinterested in play, being aggressive, acting withdrawn, or refusing to use the litter box, your cat may have eaten too much cannabis
  • Litter Issues: Speaking of litter boxes, if your cat has diarrhea, urinary incontinence, or bowel movements in places other than the litter box, it may have cannabis poisoning
  • Drooling is also a very common symptom of cannabis poisoning
  • If you notice very serious symptoms like vomiting, seizures, irregular heartbeat, and shivering, take your cat to the vet immediately!

If you happen upon shredded edible packaging, empty tincture bottles, gnawed on nugs, or any other such scenario, don’t wait it out to see how your cat responds. It’s always best to call your vet right away so they can get the appropriate medical attention. But, if they consumed a very small amount, keeping in mind a cat’s reduced weight and body size, it may be okay to keep them at home – just be sure to keep them in your sight at all times and monitor them for the next 24-48 hours. Should you make the choice to keep your kitty at home, water may help, but the most helpful thing you can do is reassure your pet, and keep a close eye on them for increased symptoms.

Cats are most frequently exposed to cannabis through ingesting dried marijuana, nibbling on the leaves of a home grown plant, eating packaged cannabis products, or being exposed to secondhand smoke – which can be especially dangerous to a cat that has asthma or breathing problems. However, not at all cannabis compounds are bad for your furry family member. It is thought that CBD could be very beneficial to your cat’s long-term health and help with pain management, anxiety, and inflammation. However, giving THC to your cat, or any pet, should be avoided completely.

But when it comes to your own personal supply, the best line of defense to keep your cat out of it is to store your cannabis – especially edibles, concentrates, and oils – like you would any other medicine, out of reach of your pet. This could include locked drawers, high cabinets, and other inaccessible areas. Cats are very clever indeed, but they haven’t developed opposable thumbs. Yet.

Do you have any tips for cat-owners who may be dealing with their furry friend ingesting cannabis? Share your helpful tips in the comments below.

It's no secret that cats are curious creatures and love to explore. Plus, many cats enjoy catching a buzz on some catnip as well. But catnip and cannabis are two completely different substances when it comes to cats. Learn exactly what to do in the event of your cat ingesting marijuana.