This Works, Too!
No matter which product you pick from the Jiffy product range, getting started is never difficult. In the following, we will explain the most important basics. Additionally, refer to the product packaging for detailed instructions and illustrated step-by-step descriptions to help you succeed every time. This way, Jiffy will guide you with simple and purposeful processes to make your results bloom.
The formula for success:
Jiffypots® or Jiffystrips® + Jiffy-QSM® = perfect results
What do you need?
- Jiffypots® or Jiffystrips®: organic planting pots in various shapes and sizes
- Jiffy-QSM® peat pellets, the ideal growing soil for any plant potting, optimally adapted to the Jiffy cultivation products.
- Seed or seedling
- A growing location with plenty of light and consistently vented or air conditioned environment
The Jiffypots® are available in different sizes either ø6cm or ø8cm , in round or square and in different packaging sizes from 11 to 32 pieces per package. The Jiffystrips® are also available in two sizes either 4,5cm square or 6cm square and in rows with 8 or 10 little pots. As mentioned before the Jiffypots and Jiffystrips go perfect together with the Jiffy QSM and can on the one handy be used in the Jiffy greenhouses and on the other hand be planted directly into the garden or flower pot.
Jiffy, this works,too!
In this video you can learn all about the Jiffypots and Jiffystrips. The famous german TV gardener Elmar Mai, shows you how to use the products and how to get the best results. Start growing your own!
Die Formel für Erfolg: Jiffypots oder Jiffystrips + Jiffy-QSM = perfekte Ergebnisse. Jiffypots oder Jiffystrips sind organische Pflanztöpfe die in verschiedenen Größen und Formen erhältlich sind.
Tips for Planting Seedlings in Peat Pots, Jiffy Pots, Cowpots
Biodegradable pots—such as Jiffy Pots, other peat pots, Cowpots and pots made from newspaper—offer an easy way to grow plants from seed and transplant seedlings into the garden. Because these pots break down naturally over time, the seedlings can be planted pot and all in the ground. Jiffy Pots, Cowpots and the like are especially great options for plants that do not like having their roots disturbed, such as nasturtiums and cucumbers.
There are two tricks to remember when transplanting seedlings in biodegradable pots:
1. Gently tear off the top half inch of the pot. If you leave this part of the peat pot or Cowpot on, it could wick water away from the soil surface and limit the amount of water that reaches the plant’s roots.
2. Gently tear off the bottom of the pot, too, unless roots have already fully penetrated it. Removing the bottom of the peat pot, Cowpot or newspaper pot will make it easier for the seedling to take root and access nutrients and water from the ground.
In summary, when planting biodegradable pots with their seedlings in the ground, tear off the top and the bottom. It’s easiest to do this if you soak the pot in water first.
Read about other options of containers for starting seeds.
Learn all about starting plants from seed in the downloadable recorded slideshow It Starts With a Seed.
Shop for special seed mixes from Renee’s Garden. Many can be direct sown into the garden after the last frost.
Here are two tricks for transplanting seedlings in biodegradable pots such as peat pots, Jiffy Pots and Cowpots. Follow these tips to be sure seedlings survive.