Benefits of Growing Autoflowering Cannabis In a Sea of Green
If you are new to growing Cannabis, you may have come across the terminology S.O.G and been left wondering what it meant. Thanks to the genetic diversity of Cannabis plants, as growers we are able to adapt our grow spaces, schedules, budget, and level of plant maintenance to specific cultivars that are more practically suited. Read on to learn all you need to know about Sea of Green, the benefits associated including our top tips and why autoflowering cultivars are the best choice, due to their short size and fast flowering traits.
1. What Is the Sea of Green?
This basically refers to the end goal being a room filled from wall to wall, with small-sized uniform Cannabis plants. Purposely grown in small pots with a very short growing period, no training applied and packed closely together. It may sound like an amateur’s set up who does not know what they are doing, however, there are many benefits associated with this style of growing.
2. The Advantages Associated
Small pots of 6.5L are commonly used meaning a small amount of growing medium is required. With such a short growing time, roots will settle and expand as much as they can anchoring themselves to the base of the pots.
Nutrients for the vegetative period are only used once or twice, ensuring your nutrient lasts much longer every time you produce a crop. Over multiple grows, the savings on root boosters and grow nutrients will be evident and dependent on the size of your crop, one nutrient bottle may last several cycles.
It is possible to easily fill an entire room wall to wall with flowering plants being as efficient as possible space-wise, however it is necessary to create an aisle to allow access to your canopy. As long as you can access your plants in case of an emergency, this is oftentimes the best way to grow in terms of efficiency.
Some very fast flowering cultivars that flower as quickly as 7-8 weeks allow for a grower to restrict each grow cycle to a total of 8-9 weeks in total. It is easily possible to achieve large scale commercial growth in a very short time of up to 10 weeks including the drying process.
Commercial growers are able to achieve multiple harvests per year, in comparison to long vegetative phases that demand some training and hands-on maintenance. The only work required is to plant clones or seedlings, flower and harvest and rotate.
Plant height is reduced to around 30-50cm meaning it is possible to achieve a very successful SOG set up, in a low space such as a bedroom closet, loft conversion or low ceiling cellar space.
3. Which Strains Are Best?
The goal is to flower your Cannabis plants as fast as possible, using an autoflowering cultivar that is a solid, reliable performer. Anything that takes over 10 weeks may be impractical and increase the number of days between harvesting and rotation. Indica dominant or hybrid cultivars is the ideal choice for Sea of green. Thanks to their ability to stay low and uniform, with very little internodal spacing, these are the most preferred.
One of the best things about autoflowering strains is that they are created with the fast-paced grower in mind. It is possible to harvest an entire crop in as little as 9 weeks with Gelato Auto, Blackberry Auto, and Wedding Cheesecake Auto.
Cannabis plants that grow with one main central cola surrounded by thick side branches are a great candidate. The growth structure associated with this variety of strain allows for the uniform, top-heavy green blanket effect once blooming has commenced.
4. Top Tips on Sea of Green Farming with Autos
1. Fast autoflowering strains are much better at reducing the amount of time they can be exposed to an airborne pathogen such as Botrytis. Indica dominant cultivars are often more resistant to plant disease and a better choice for Sea of Green.
2. Find an autoflowering strain that is reliable and does not require much hands-on training, or maintenance. A wise choice for beginner growers and those still learning the ropes.
3. Make sure that you leave plenty of space for an aisle that you can comfortably walk down. In the event that the plants need to be treated, then your ability to easily access and freely work is essential.
4. Avoid letting plants touch the sides of the grow tent or walls of the room. It is very important to keep a consistent airflow around the plants and allowing them to touch moist walls during flower can be hazardous.
5. Using a pump and drip emitters can save a lot of work and physical labor, especially when you are working with rows as large as 35 plants and upwards. Setting a timer to do all the work for 15 minutes a day reduces work and saves you a bad back every time.
5. In Conclusion
There are a number of highlights to why a grower who is harvesting every 12-14 weeks, may want to switch to Sea of Green farming using autoflowering cultivars. The obvious reason is the crop rotation that is possible every 9-10 weeks, and the other is the reduction in electricity use, nutrient use, and plant training.
On the other hand, many growers love nothing more than getting hands-on with their plants and enjoying a good 5-10 week growing phase. Some may argue the amount their plants harvest is worth the extra wait, yet the reality is a room full of buds from wall to wall will always harvest the same amount if using lots of small plants or a few large sized.
We hope you enjoyed this article and have discovered a new, fast, productive and stress-free way to grow. Good luck with your fields of high-grade flower!If you are new to growing Cannabis, you may have come across the terminology S.O.G and been left wondering what it meant. Thanks to the genetic diversity of Can ]]>